Granddad Daniel Grant Varner

Granddad Daniel Grant Varner
Daniel Grant Varner (front, far right) and siblings with spouses

Friday, January 17, 2014

Roots Magic 6 and linking to Family Search Family Tree

It's been a good week of researching my Smith family. I will write more about this in a separate post.  This week I've been faced with a data management issue.

I have an issue with merging data between Roots Magic and Family Search.  I have used the "share" fact process on some of my census events.  In effect, an individual fact is not created for everyone that a fact is shared with.  It's more like creating a link to the one instance of the fact.  In theory, this is an excellent approach.  It saves a lot of data entry time and since there is one master instance of the fact, a change to that record reflects wherever the fact is shared.

The issue with this is that the "shared" facts are not available for merging to Family Search Family Tree.  Obviously, that is a deal breaker for me.  So I need to replace every shared fact in my database with a regular individual fact for that event. The problem is I can find no report to run that will show "shared" facts.  Since it is not recognized as a fact as such, it will not appear if I run a fact list for an individual.  I have found no way of identifying all of the people that have shared facts that need to be replaced.

No comments: