I really have been working on the family history the last several weeks. I probably took on too much at one time though. I have been deluged with record hints and emails. It was an interesting series of events.
First I had my DNA tested at Ancestry.com. I spent a lot of time working my cousin matches and emailing potential cousins. Most never responded but a few did. We are not really having much luck identifying out common ancestors.
I then uploaded my Ancestry DNA results to Family Tree DNA and Gedmatch.com. FTDNA has shown many cousin matches and I've been emailing several people. So far we are still at the stage of trying to identify the common ancestors. None have yet been identified. Gedmatch.com has been a disappointment. The system is severely overloaded, They were simply not equipped to handle the number of people that have uploaded their DNA. I have not worked with Gedmatch.com hardly at all. At this point I cannot even attached my dna kit number to my gedcom file I uploaded.
I need to educate myself on dna. I need to learn how to decipher my results and how to use the tools provided on each site to match with others. I have watched a few YouTube videos but I need to do more.
Then I upgraded my RootsMagic program to version 7. This update provided record matching from Family Search and MyHeritage. I was following the record hints that were coming up for MyHeritage and found some good stuff. Because of this I decided to get a membership (both a data and a site membership). So I uploaded my gedcom and created the Varner Family Website. I have over 1150 Smart (family matches) and 900 record matches.
So that's what I've been up to. I will soon be posting some of the results of these endeavors.