Granddad Daniel Grant Varner

Granddad Daniel Grant Varner
Daniel Grant Varner (front, far right) and siblings with spouses

Saturday, February 2, 2019

DNA Testing. Why I did it and what I did with it. Part One - ethnicity

A couple of years ago I decided to get my DNA tested.  There were several reasons for this but chiefly among them were:

  • Looking for cousin matches to further my family history research
  • Learning my ethnicity
  • Verify the assumptions that I have made in my family tree

So l did the following testing.

  • AncestryDNA;  Autosomal only.
  • Family Tree DNA; Autosomal, Y-DNA and MT-DNA.
  • MyHeritage; uploaded AncestryDNA autosomal test only.
  • Gedmatch Genesis; uploaded AncestryDNA autosomal test only.

My ethnicity results varied some by company, but not much.  Grouping's of countries are a little different but the actual breakdowns is fairly consistent. 

The results are;

Ancestry
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe  73%
Ireland & Scotland  17%
Germanic Europe  6%
Norway  2%
Sweden  2% 

Family Tree DNA
 British Isles 83%
 East Europe 5%
 Southeast Europe 5%
 Middle Eastern 3%


MyHeritage
North and West Europe  95.2%
             English  81.8%
             North and West European  13.4%
South Europe  4.8%
             Greek  2.8%
             Italian  2.0%

In my next post I will review the cousin matching effort.

No comments: